2017 SAASE Convention
"Knowledge is Power"
2016 has come and gone, and this is hoping that it was a great year. There continue to be many opportunities in rural Saskatchewan and Saskatchewan’s Agricultural Societies and Exhibitions continue to play a part as leaders in communities across Saskatchewan. There are tremendous opportunities for all of us to better market our events, as well as partner with new groups. The whole key is that we never stop learning what we can do to make our agricultural societies, events and communities better Join us in North Battleford February 24th and 25th as we continue to discover that “Knowledge Is Power”. We will get a chance to learn from our program, as well as learn from each other.
- What can you expect? You can expect to be well fed, well informed, well appreciated and well entertained - and have fun doing it!
- What you won’t be - is bored, taken for granted, or ignored. And you may not get much sleep - but you can make up for that when you get home.
- Nomination for Election to the Board. Election of Directors to the Board will take place at the convention. There are three positions eligible for election each year. Each society, being a member in good standing with SAASE, is eligible to nominate a candidate for election to the Board. Biographical sketches of those whose nomination is received at SAASE Office by February 11 will be included in the convention handouts. Nominations will also be accepted from the floor of the meeting. Early, written nominations assist the nominating committee in knowing how many nominees they must seek prior to the annual meeting in order that there is a full slate of officers. Your society secretary has the nomination forms.
- Who can vote at the AGM? Only members in good standing are eligible to vote. Each Member Society can appoint ONE voting delegate. Voting delegates will receive their voting cards at the convention.
- Come for the boost! One of the greatest rewards of attending a convention is the new friends you will make and the friendships you will renew. As volunteers sometimes our batteries run down and SAASE Convention can be a real boost to the system.
- Enjoy the hospitality of North Battleford! The North Battleford Agricultural Society will be rolling out the welcome mat.
This Year’s Great Convention Deal
Bring someone from your agricultural society that has never been to the SAASE convention before and that person’s registration is free.
- Date: February 24th and 25th, 2017
- Place: All Sessions and meals will be held at the Battlefords Agricultural Society – AgriVilla Building
- Host: North Battleford Agricultural Society
- Accommodation: The host hotel for this year’s convention will be the North Battleford Gold Eagle Lodge. The rate for the hotel rooms are $130 plus taxes for a double queen. Rooms must be booked by January 23rd, 2017. The Gold Eagle Lodge is located at 12004 Railway Ave. E. You can make reservations by calling (306) 446-8877. The block of rooms are under SAASE. The hotel website is www.goldeaglelodge.com.
- Convention Registration Fee: $90 payable to SAASE. Fees are fully refundable with 2 weeks prior notification of non-attendance.
- Fee Includes: The Ecoli workshop, convention sessions, Friday night supper and social, Saturday Breakfast and Awards Luncheon, refreshment breaks, and session handouts.
- Early Registration: Delegates whose registration and fees are postmarked prior to February 3rd are eligible for the discounted registration fee of $75. Please honor the early registration date. The philosophy is basic – IF YOU PAY LATE, YOU PAY MORE!
- Ecoli Workshop: It has been a number of years since an Ecoli workshop was held in Saskatchewan – SAASE in partnership with the Canadian Association of Fairs and Exhibitions will be hosting a free workshop on Friday February 24th before the start of the convention. The workshop will give you the tools that you need to protect your attendees at your events from Ecoli and other pathogens, as well as reducing your liability. Each participant will receive a free education DVD and binder. The workshop includes lunch and is free, but you must register to attend. Fill out the Ecoli registration form in this package and return it to the SAASE office.
- Silent Auction: All participants are invited to donate items for the silent auction. Suggested minimum value - $25.00. Bring your article to registration. Remember all funds raised will support the SAASE/Clark and Anne Lewis Memorial Scholarship fund.
- Awards Luncheon: Extra Luncheon tickets for guests are available by prior purchase for $25. Those ordered from SAASE Office 306 565-2121 by February 10th are guaranteed. A limited number of tickets may be available at registration desk.
- 2018 Invitation: We will be looking for someone to host the 2018 convention. Have your “pitch man” primed to win over the crowd. Should more than one invitation be received, delegates will vote on their choice. Those wishing to present a bid should contact Glen at the SAASE office before February 20. If you want more information about what hosting involves, call Glen.
“Education is Power”
There will be some great programs at the SAASE Annual Convention in North Battleford, and we hope all of you will try to make it.
- SaskEnergy Volunteer Champions Awards Luncheon – Join us for the awards luncheon where we will be honoring our new life members, as well as Volunteer of the year and Achievement of the Year.
- Social Evening – The Battlefords Agricultural society will be entertaining convention goers with a great host evening on Friday February 24th. This is a great time to see some old friends, as well as do some networking and enjoy North Battleford’s hospitality.
- Curtis Weber - Keynote Speaker – Seventeen year old Curtis Weber was doing his job when he was electrocuted by a 40,000 volt live power-line. The incident cost him 2 limbs and left third and fourth degree burns over 60% of his body. He spent 6 years recovering. And he got away lucky. Curtis recounts his long and painful recovery, and describes how he found exuberance, gratitude and purpose. Curtis’s life today is one fueled by passion for work, play, friends and family and his story inspires and heartens all who hear it.
- Christina Franc - Social Media 101– Christina Franc – the new CAFÉ Executive Director – will talk about the different social media platforms available and how they can be used to market, raise the profile of your fair and Agricultural Society, as well as get new volunteers involved with your organization.
- Round Table Discussions – Speakers will lead round table discussions on important issues affecting our Agricultural Societies, with the topics to be announced.
- SAASE Long Range Strategic Plan – The SAASE board has been working on updating the long range strategic plan over the past year. The updated plan is based on the previous 5 year plan, with the assistance of David White of Synergy Solutions. Executive Director Glen Duck will update the membership, as well as answer any questions on the updated 5 year plan.
- Annual General Membership Meeting - The AGM of SAASE is an important and integral part of the convention program. The new SAASE Board of Directors will be elected. If interested make sure that you get your nomination forms into the SAASE office. Discussion will also take place on the SAASE long range plan that the Board of Directors have been working on.
- Reserve rooms at the North Battleford Gold Eagle Lodge - (780) 875-4404. Reserve your rooms early – Reservations must be made before January 23rd.
- Register early to take advantage of the convention early registration discount.
- See you at SAASE Convention 2017 in North Battleford.
Click here to register for the 2017 Convention.
Click here to register for the 2017 E.coli Worksho.
Click here to download the 2017 SAASE Convention Schedule.